Monday, September 16, 2013

Feeling thankful for the ride...

I have always loved this quote by President Hinckley:

“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”

I am sure this can be applied to a mission...some days are just not fun.  Some companionships require a high degree of mutual toleration.  Not all investigators arrive at the waters of baptism. Not all lunch appointments are kept.  There are a lot of disappointments but the occasional success and the lives changed brings a thrill to hearts.  They learn to depend on the Lord and they eventually become thankful for this life changing journey they are on.  

Yesterday I felt thankful for this ride...not only the 2+ years in Colombia, but for all I have learned in my life.  (those birthdays are adding up!)
My gratitude centers around those who hold me up on this journey...so many friends in my life have helped me over all the rough spots and celebrated the good times. 
How grateful I feel to the Lord who has let my life be touched by so many wonderful young men and women in the mission. 
Those who have put their trust in the Lord and embraced the gospel.  Those who serve untiringly.
Those who pray for us and put our names on temple prayer rolls.  
Family members who unselfishly have supported our being away and encouraged us on.
Those who trust our kind Heavenly Father and thank HIM for letting them have the ride.

This week there is reason to give thanks, rejoice, and have a party!
                                                

Ajiaco for my Birthday lunch
now what isn't there to be enjoyed about that??!!





Poncho had his birthday on Sat, Sept 14 
and so we were celebrated together!


cutting the cake


with our missionaries...Elders Hidalgo and Farinango
and 
Sisters Campos and Quispe
with our dear friends the Moyano family

And the party continued with our office crew the day after....


This crew works well in the kitchen, too...
...especially when they are hungry!
yes, it was as good as it looks!




And the magic behind it all...
Maria and Ana! 
I am thankful daily for their friendship!

The best traveling companion on my journey...
I am grateful that Mission Presidents don't have companion changes!
Our dear faithful friend, Ramon!
Love this office crew...I had to include a lot of pictures of them.
Their faces make me smile!
And they even baked me a cake...
it really was better than the store boughten one!
How sweet it is...
that on this journey we can have moments of bliss
and be grateful for the ride!

No comments: